About CCiL Master
Our MA is a research-oriented program that focuses on the relationship between the different disciplines of Cognitive Science and Language. Specifically, on perception and language acquisition, the syntactic and semantic processing of speech, the relation between semantics and cognition, the logical structure of language and the epistemological and conceptual foundations of its study and the computational analysis of language. It has three tracks: linguistics, psychology and philosophy.
We welcome students with a degree in Psychology, Philosophy or Linguistics. Students holding a degree in Translation, Philologies, Speech Therapy and Cognitive Sciences are also accepted and will be required to enrol in background courses depending on their transcripts.
To fulfill the requirements of the master, each student must take 60 credits, divided as following:
- 15 credits (3 courses) of common courses.
- 15 credits (3 courses) of mandatory courses of the selected branch.
- 15 credits (3 courses) of optional courses to choose among the optional courses of any branch plus the mandatory courses of the other branches.
- 15 credits of a final research paper (TFM).
- In addition to that the admission committee may require the student to take up to 30 additional credits from background courses, depending on the adequacy of the previous studies of the applicant to the branch. Background courses are not always avaliable in English.
The MA has three different branches or tracks: Psychology (Models cognitius de Processament del Llenguatge), Linguistics (Teoria Gramatical i Processament Lingüístic) and Philosophy (Lògica i Filosofía). The student must apply to one of these branches at the pre-admission stage and state the branch clearly at the motivation letter.